Production Diary (Week 8)

This week I did more work on my page layout and started getting together the information and assets that will go on the pages. I also recorded an audio log that will go on one of my pages and made a 3D model of a paintbrush for one of my pages.

I have had to change my original page layout because it was originally very compact, so I had to start it again to make it easier to look at for users. The layout that I am planning to use now is much simpler and will have one page for a biography for Daguerre, one page that will talk about Daguerre’s work with the spy faction, and one page will show famous pieces of work that Daguerre has produced, such as paintings and the Daguerreotype.

Once I finalised my page layouts I started to put together the information that will go on my pages. For the biography page this involved researching important facts about his life and death, and also adding in parts that we have decided are facts in this alternate timeline. I also got images of Daguerre and his famous pieces of work, such as the Daguerreotype and some of his most famous paintings.

Paintbrush

This is the paintbrush model that I made in 3DS Max. To make the handle I created a cylinder and added an inset to it to create the point towards the back. This was the hardest part of making this model as at first I wasn’t sure which tool would be the best one to use, so I tried extrude and bevel first but neither of those did what I wanted, and even when I did try the inset tool it took a while to get the effect just right. If I were to try making this model again I would make the inset further up the handle as I think that would make it look more like a paintbrush, however I am happy with how it has turned out and the inset is the only part of it I would try and improve if I were making it again.

The audio log that I recorded for one of my dossier pages was an official report into the death of Louis Daguerre, and what would happen to the spy organisation after his death. The character that I created to be speaking during the audio log was Spanish so to record it I had to put on a Spanish accent which was difficult, but I didn’t make to many mistakes while recording it because I had partly learnt the script so most of the time I knew what I was going t say and how it needed to be said, which made it a lot easier to record. After I had recorded it I started editing it in Audacity to make it sound like a recording from the time period. I did this by adding Brownian noise to create static. I also removed some of the frequency of the speech using Equalization, to make the audio seem like it was being played out of a phonograph.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s